Thursday, July 10, 2008

Riding through History


Today I spent the day riding past so many historical sites from the civil war. One site in particular was Cold Harbor. It was one of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War. Grant lost over 6000 men in less than 30 minutes there. The trenches that the Conferate Army dug is still there... over 7 miles long! I listened to a presentation from a very informed Ranger, named Barry and then I walked around the battlefield. It is amazing to be riding through so much history, Civil War and Revolutionary War era. I rode on and stopped at a Panera Bread for a lemonade and their "free" Internet. While I was inside, the pigeons used my bike for target practice and then the rain came. After about 20 minutes of waiting, I put on my rain suit and got back on my bike and rode to my destination for the night. Americamps - North Richmond. By the time I arrived, the rain had stopped and the sky was clear. There I met a man and his son who were also doing a portion of the Trans America Trail. They had been on the road for a little over two weeks and they were very happy to have made the decision to do it. After setting up my tent and taking a shower, I slept like a baby and I was looking forward to the next day's adventure.