Thursday, July 17, 2008

Puttin' My Time in the Saddle


I did my laundry last night at the Cookie Lady’s house and I have to wait for it to dry before I can leave. I anxiously wait for the sun to come up and while I am waiting, I perform some much-needed maintenance on my bike. I meet some really nice cyclists while working outside and we talk for almost ½ hour. I am still hearing stories about what I have waiting for me as I enter what could be my most difficult day thus far. The road from the Cookie Lady’s house seems to go straight up and up and up, then there is a turn and I cross my fingers hoping that it will level off, but no such luck. I continue this climb as I enter the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful, and has been well worth the grueling climb getting up here… at least that is what I think until about 3:45. That’s when it starts to rain. After it starts it doesn’t stop until about 7:30 the next day. I continue riding and stop at a visitor’s center – trying to wait out the storm. After I see the the rain has no intention on moving on, I take off towards my next camp site. A place called "Sherando Lake" is going to be my home for the night. The problem is, its still raining and I still have to go up. Up and up before I can come down to Lake Sherando. I finally get there right before dark, I am wet, tired and hungry. I meet a couple of really nice Rangers who did me a nice favor and made a $20 donation. I talk with them for awhile and get directions for the next day and then I head to my camp site. Too tired to make a meal, I eat Dorito's, a honey bun, some potato chips and have a gatorade as my beverage. Its still raining and I am so tired so I just set up my tent, crawl inside and go to sleep.

The next day, I ride and ride trying to make it to Buchanan (pronounced Buck-Ann-An). Its about 70 miles away and it doesn't look like I am going to make it as I stop at a Chinese Buffet and stuff myself in a small town called Stuart' Draft. I don't really feel like getting back on the bike afer that meal, but I do it anyhow. I continue my roller coaster ride through Virginia and after about 4 hours I stop in a town called Fairfield and meet the "Computer Doctor", James Martin. James lets me set up my computer, get on his network and... blog. He has a very nice shop, the nicest one I have ever seen. It is setup kind of like a coffee shop, he has a big conference area and table there if you want to hold a meeting and they have drinks and the best chocolate. I stay for an hour or two and get back on the road.

After a few more hours, I reach Buchanan and then continue on to Troutville. Once in Troutville, I set up my tent in the famous, Troutville Park. I meet the sheriff and the Park Supervisor and the fire department. It seems like a very nice town and they let me use the showers in the Fire House. All in all, this was a very good day!