Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Berea, Kentucky


Today, I arrived in Berea, the folk arts and crafts capitol of Kentucky. I have been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks now. This is another city rich in history. I learned that Berea College, founded in 1855, was the first interracial and coeducational colleges in the South. It also charges no tuition and admits only academically promising students, primarily from Appalachia, who have limited economic resources. Berea’s cost of educating a student exceeds $23,000 per year. They only requirement is that the students work at least 10 hours per week on campus.

The ride here was... interesting. It was the most difficult day I have had in a while. I was under the impression that I was finished with the mountains, at least for now. I guess I was right, because what I encountered today was more hills than mountains. I don't think the 100 degree temperature helped. The hills at some points were relentless, and then the map I am using has me going over hill and dale, going north to come back south. By the time I was half-way, I was out of gas. I stopped in a little town called South Irvine, where a driver proceeded to call me the "N" word for the first time since I started my journey. I later encountered him when I finally made it to Irvine (just a few miles north of South Irvine) and he wouldn't even make eye contact. Even with that incident, 99.9 % of my experiences on this trip have been positive. I have had many warnings about the people in the Kentucky, but they have been great and many of them have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome.

I am staying at another Super 8 Motel here in Berea. They have been very supportive of my ride and are willing to do whatever they can to help.

Tomorrow, I am off again. There is a real joy in not knowing what is on the next page, not to mention the next chapter.