Monday, July 14, 2008

The Cookie Lady


I had a late start this morning. I was “dragging my feet” knowing that I had this “Mountain” to deal with. Leaving Charlottesville, I could see the mountains in the distance and I thought to myself, “How am I going to do this”? I am not a cyclist and before the riding in the “Tour de Belt” I had never ridden more than 20 miles in a day, let alone riding up mountains in 95-degree weather. One hill after another, up and down… after a few miles of this I decided to rest in the shade of a tree in a parking lot of the “Christian Aid Mission”. As soon as I pulled to a stop, a woman came outside and asked me if I was lost. I told her no, I was just taking a break in the shade and wanted to make sure I was still on the right track (these maps are not 100% and sometimes they sent me the long way). I think she took pity on me because I was soaked in sweat, so after speaking with her for a few minutes, she invited me inside for a cool drink and something to eat. She was a wonderful woman and after a few minutes of conversation I didn’t want to leave. I walked in on a birthday party for “Grandpa” (an 87 year old man who tried to break my hand when he shook it) and his very nice family of about 20 people from all over the United States and the world. I think I consumed about a gallon of Minute Maid Orange Juice while I was there. I told them what I was doing and why I was doing it and they were very supportive. As a matter of fact, Frances Ramann, the lady who invited me inside, she reached into her purse and gave me all the money she had in there. I went outside to take my picture with her before I left and just as I was about to get back on my bike, she asked me if I wanted anything else before I left so I had another glass of O.J. and took some apples and cake for the trip. I said goodbye and that I would keep in touch and then I was on my way again. About a mile down the road, I find a twenty-dollar bill just sitting there waiting for me to pick it up.

Back on the road I was faced with a little problem. This was a very “upscale” part of VA and I had to use the bathroom… urgently. I was riding past all of these estates with walls, gates and fences… no forests, no trees, no stores, no nothing. I had to ride on for miles before I could actually go. I finally find a suitable wooded area about 5 miles away. This was at the very bottom of the “mountain”. After a short walk in the woods, I get back on my back and begin my ascent. Once again, I am soaked in sweat. I make a few phone calls for moral support and then take off again. After about 2 miles, I stop at a restaurant called “Otto’s”. It’s a very nice place and it looks like it might be the last opportunity to get something cold to drink for quite awhile. I buy some chicken tenders and lemonade for lunch and then I am off again. I am now at the part of the trip that I have been dreading. I have read books and online journals from accomplished cyclists from all over the United States and they all agree that this is the most difficult part of the entire journey. I ‘m thinking that I am going to have to get off my bike and start pushing (something I have never had to do in my life) all the way to the top. The first part of the climb is lined with trees, so I had shade and that was nice because it is a very hot day. I also take time to reflect on what I am doing and how important it is and that gives me extra energy. I have also learned by now how to focus on other things as I am riding and I think about the kids that I am cycling for. I think about how awesome it would be if they could be here and see that the world is so much bigger than their present circumstances.
Well, before I know it, I am almost at the top of Afton. I did have to stop three times before I reach my destination. One of the stops was under a tree in someone’s yard and she came out and gave me a bottle of Aquafina.

When I did reach the top, I was so happy to see the “Cookie Lady” house. For me, this is the most exciting part of the journey so far. This lady has opened up her house for cyclists for over 30 years. She has turned the house into a museum. I love it. I will stay here for the night, do some laundry and get something to eat. When I knock on the door, a young man opens up and introduces himself as “Boris”. Boris is cool. He just graduated from Berkeley and is cycling to Washington D.C. We talk about politics, California, snowboarding and then I go up and meet the “Cookie Lady”. Her name is June Curry and she is 87 years old. She doesn’t get around good anymore, but she is awesome. I talk to her for about 1 hour and then go back to the bike house to take a shower (which is just a garden hose poked through a hole) and do some laundry. Before I shower, I eat some of Boris’ pasta surprise. It’s a mix of macaroni, spaghetti sauce and tuna. For desert, its Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Crème Pies. It’s very good and afterwards its more conversation and dishes. There’s a guitar here, so I strum on that for a while and after talking to my "Eye in the Sky", I call it a night and fall asleep.