Saturday, July 26, 2008

I'm Rolling...


I left Damascus and got lost for about 20 miles when it started to rain... it was the worst storm I have ever been caught in in my entire life. I was in the middle of nowhere and I just stood under a tree in someone's front yard. When lightning struck just a few yards away, I ran up and rang the doorbell. When no one answered I went back and stood under the tree, trying to wait it out. After about 5 minutes, I heard the garage door open up and there stood this woman, she was calling me in out of the rain. She had been in the shower and didn't hear me when I rang the bell.

I stayed there and talked to her for about 20 minutes and I wasn't sure whether I would turn around and go back to Damascus, or continue on towards Kentucky. The rain didn't stop, but it did lighten up so I decided to continue on towards Rosedale. I thanked the woman, I never even got her name, and I took off.

I rode for about 25 miles when I met up with 2 other cyclists (Keith and Larry). I was going up the mountain and they were going down. They went all the way to the bottom and caught up with me before I reached the top. We all rode to the top together and I told them all about my ride. They were really nice guys and offered to take me to dinner. I accepted and we had a great time.

After dinner, Keith helped me with my bike and we said goodbye. We both said we'd stay in touch. I would be sleeping at the Elk Garden Methodist Church Hostel, so when I got inside I just threw down my sleeping back and knocked myself out for the night.

Tomorrow... the Breaks