Saturday, September 06, 2008

Thank God for Angels


Today was the most difficult day of my journey. Once I got to 9000 feet, I started feeling it. I could only go 30 yards or so before I had to stop and catch my breath and the road ahead kept going up and up. Monarch Pass is one that I will never forget, the summit is 11,312 ft./3448 m. In addition to the altitude, I had another flat tire. After I repaired my flat tire, I sat down on the ground and had an orange, just as I was about finished with the orange, an angel showed up in a white pickup truck. Her name is Debbie Gallagher and she lives in Salida. She asked me if I was OK and told me to throw my bike into her truck and she could take me up the road to Monarch Lodge. I complied, how could I argue with an angel. Once I arrived at Monarch Lodge, they gave me a room and dinner. I met some of the most wonderful people there, most of all... an angel.