Monday, September 22, 2008

Greetings From Torrey, Utah

It's been a few days and several hundred miles since I last posted anything. I have cycled through the desert and back into the mountains of Utah. Now I am taking a rest day here in Torrey.

Many people have asked, "Why are you doing this?" I guess the simple answer is, that we thought that this would make a big enough statement about the problem of teen homelessness in the United States, not just in our little corner of the world. Most people are so busy in their day to day lives that they may not even be aware of the problem.

In truth, I didn't know that this journey would be as difficult and rewarding as it has been. I did the research, bought the books and the maps, but I still wasn't sure what to expect. I am still on an old bike, I don't have the proper pedals or shoes, and I am seriously overloaded. But, I am just a few hundred miles away from my destination. I can almost smell the ocean... almost.

The important thing is that "we" not lose sight on why we are here. In reality, it does take a village. I would not have been able to make it this far without the love and support of all you wonderful people. I am continuing on, through more deserts and over more mountains, but I will come back with a renewed strength and purpose. God has put all of us here for a reason and this ride, crossing the country by bike, has been part of that reason for me. The lives that have touched mine, the barriers that have been broken (both by me and for me), all of that contributes to that purpose and will trickle down and touch the lives of the teens that we work with.

I know I am rambling, but I just wanted to share my thoughts with you before I get back on the road.