Monday, August 25, 2008

Riding With The Wind in Kansas

I am in Kansas and it hasn't been as flat as I thought it would be. Maybe the reason I remember it being so flat is usually I am in a car. Riding a bicycle is an entirely different experience. Hills take on a totally different meaning. Today I did about 80 miles, just trying to get on to Colorado, but I still have a way to go.

Kansas is a long state, but it's also beautiful and diverse. A lot of farmland, oil and really nice people. Tonight, in Newton I am staying with an extremely nice couple who have opened up their house to me, Simon and Clive (a new friend from England). They had dinner prepared for us when we arrived, they have beds for us as well. This is the sort of thing that you never hear about, but I have experienced it time and time again.

I will try to catch up with this blog in a day or two, but right now it's late and I am very tired.