Monday, August 04, 2008

Richmond, KY


After a goodnight's sleep in Berea, courtesy Super 8 Motel, I look outside to see that its raining. Before I leave town, I head over to Wal-Mart to get a few things and to wait out the rain. The one thing I have discovered on this journey is that I don't like to ride in the rain.

Just before I go into the store, I meet two young men from the LDS Church. I have a very good conversation with them for well over an hour. Not a debate, but a conversation about God and what He means to them and their mission. These two young men are truly remarkable. They just want to help people, cook for them, shop for them... do whatever they need. I was impressed by what they had to say and they helped me pass the time.

After speaking with the missionaries, I decided to go to Hong Kong Chinese Buffet for lunch. I went over with Simon and our idea was to "load up" before we got back on the road. One thing I have realized is that you never know when you will have the chance for a warm meal. A complete meal with veggies, rice, meat, fruit... I don't think you can go wrong with a buffet. It was only $5.00, so it was a "no brainer".

Just before we left the restaurant, I met Robin and Rachel, a mother and daughter from Berea. Even though we should have been on the road by then, we ended up staying and talking with them for well over an hour. By now I am not surprised to meet so many nice people. After some good advice from these two ladies, we decided to get on the road and head to Richmond. I needed a bike shop and it seems the best one for what I needed was in there.

When I get to Richmond, Motel 6 there has a room ready for me. Rick and Alicia had it all set up and they were happy to help. It was after 7 when we got there so we would have to wait until the next day to go to the bike shop.

I guess that's it for today.