Friday, August 29, 2008

Kansas



Wow! In the last few days I have covered over 200 miles. There have been several stretches where there are no services for almost 60 miles. After you throw some +90 degree temperatures, a headwind or two and some never-ending grades, you have the ingredients for some tough days. At least tough for me. I have met up with a few other riders and its good to ride together for awhile.

I am still meeting awesome people, though. In Larned, Kansas and not long after I arrived in town I was getting ready to setup my tent for the night in a city park. As I pulled up to the restroom there were two girls coming from a church across the street. They were excited to see cyclists and invited us to the church for cake. After meeting the pastor, he offered to put us up for the night in a hotel.

The next day we are off again, heading to Kinsley. Kinsley is the halfway point between New York and San Francisco. Along the way we are treated to old cars and tractors, trains and a lot of silos. Kansas is a long state with a lot of wind and we are steadily climbing up, getting ready for Colorado.

We met up with a group from Boston today. Matt is the leader and he is traveling by wheelchair. They are an exceptional group and you can learn more about them at: http://www.officialmattsplace.org/

Thats all for now as I have to get back on the road.