Monday, August 18, 2008

Historic Ash Grove, MO



OK, so after I leave Springfield I head northwest to a historic little town called, Ash Grove. Ash Grove is only about 25 miles from Springfield and is famous for being the home of Nathan Boone, the youngest son of Daniel Boone. I was only planning on being in town one night, but after meeting a few o f the residents, I decide to stay on another day. By now, I have heard at least 10 times, "you have to meet Father Moses". I don't know who Father Moses is, but I am looking forward to meeting him. I hear that he is the smartest man in town, that he is a descendant of Nathan Boone, that he established the African American Museum in Ash Grove and that he built his church almost with his bare hands. Later that evening, another resident drops by my tent and tells me pretty much the same thing, then she asks me if I would like a drive out to Father Moses' church. Of course I agree and in few minutes, I am face to face with... Father Moses.

Father Moses is indeed a smart man and all of the other things that I've heard about him. His church is small, but immaculate. He offers to let me stay overnight so that I can go and visit the Museum that he is going to open up just for me. I would take him up on the offer, but the town of Ash Grove has already agreed to let me stay in the "Barnum House", one of the oldest houses in town that is listed with the historical society. After I go back to the Barnum House, I prepare for tomorrow, a day with Father Moses.

Early the next day, I meet Keith. Keith is the brother of Father Moses. He also describes himself as being ANGRY. I have a good talk with him while I am waiting for my tour of the museum with Father Moses. Keith talks about being one of only a few black people in a predominately white town. I tell him I can relate. I also tell him of my experiences since I left Pennsylvania. I tell him about all the wonderful people I've met along the way. "Most people are good and they don't mean you any harm", I tell him, I don't think he's buying it. Just then, Father Moses comes out and calls me over to the museum. Keith doesn't come with me.

While in the museum, Father Moses tells me about his connection to Nathan Boone and the affair he had with one of his slaves. That slave turns out to be Father Moses' great, great grandmother. He shows me his artifacts and gives me the slave collar and shackles to try on. This small museum has things that I'm sure the Smithsonian would love to have. After the museum, I go out to the cemetery for slaves, Indians and paupers. The cemetery is on the "Berry" property and right near the house and church. I meet some ladies out there and before you know it, I have a ride to Springfield and lunch. I go go Springfield and Branson as a full fledged tourist and on the way back to Ash Grove I have an appointment with John Kelly of KY3 TV of Springfield. KY3 is the Number 1 news channel in Springfield.

The next morning, KY3 is there for the interview. In addition to KY3 News, I am also treated to racial slurs from to young men who seem to be in town just to harass me. I have to ride around town for some of the shots for the news (its a really small town), and everywhere I go these guys are there. I must have heard at least 15 times, "N__ger go home!". Hearing this over and over again threatened to "mess up" my day, but it doesn't. I have to remember the hundreds of interactions I have had with so many awesome people. That's what I have to remember... and that these two represent such a small minority. At first I was a little angry, but now I just feel sorry for them.

After all that, I am off to Pittsburg... Kansas.