Thursday, October 02, 2008

Hobbling In to St. George

After a brief stay in Cedar City, it was time to move on to St. George... and beyond. Another late start today and the bicycle route to St. George wasn't very clear. Of course you could travel the interstate (I-15) all the way there, but not on a bicycle. I called the highway patrol and got only an answering machine, I called some other numbers and tried to get some clarity about the laws regarding bicycles on the interstate. Since western Kansas, I have been hearing that you could indeed ride the interstate. So what did I do, I rode the interstate all the way to St. George. 53 miles, in total. I didn't see one highway patrol vehicle in all that time. What I did encounter though, was three flat tires. That is the worst thing about riding on the interstate. You have all the wire from the "blown" truck tires, just waiting to give you a flat. The first one wasn't so bad, the next two were very annoying as they came one right after the other. I was making good time, but after all the flats it started getting late and the sun was going down.

To make a long story short, finally made it St. George and Motel 6 where they kept the light on for me. Courtesy of Peg Wolff. Thanks, Peg.